3 cups glutinous/sticky rice
2 Tbsp vegetable stock
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup tofu
1/2 cup vegetable floss (sesame seaweed soya shreaded)
1.4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup fried] shallot
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Spring onion, soy sauce and fresh or dried chilli for garnish
1. Wash and rinse glutinous/sticky rice until the water is clear.
2. Drain the water completely.
3. Add 2 Tbsp vegetable stock and 1.5 cups water.
4. Cover and cook in a rice cooker.
5. Beat the egg together with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
6. Heat a small pan over medium heat and then add the beaten egg.
7. Cook the egg until it’s no longer runny.
8. Remove from heat and cut the egg into thin strips.
9. Serve the sticky rice on a plate and top with egg, tofu, vegetable floss, sliced mushrooms and fried shallots.
10. Garnish with chopped spring onions
Can be served with soy sauce and fresh chilli to taste.
THE STORY BEHIND THE RECIPE
Xôi mặn is a wonderful filling dish that can be eaten at any time of the day but is most often eaten around breakfast or as a morning snack. The glutinous rice base can be topped with a range of options from savoury to sweet, however Xôi mặn refers specifically to the savoury version.
At our Harmony Day 2018 Celebrations in Blacktown, this delicious dish, along with Bánh mì was provided by the Vietnamese Buddhist Youth Association.