6 cups of water
Leftover turkey (bones, meat, etc.)
2 1/2 cups of rice
3 tablespoons of fish sauce
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
Pepper to taste
Chopped Spring onions for garnish
1. In boiling water, put in turkey bones and meat (save a little meat for later) along with the onion.
2. Let the turkey and onion boil for about 30 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally.
3. Put rice in and leave until the rice becomes soft and mushy.
4. Put in the sugar, fish sauce, and salt. Add more if needed!
5. To serve, spoon porridge in bowls, adding shredded leftover meat, chopped spring onions for garnish as well as pepper to taste.
The Story Behind The Recipe:
With Thanksgiving last week and Christmas coming soon, many of us are going to end up with leftover meat and poultry, hopefully still on the bone. Today’s recipe come from FoodFaith intern Madalena Tran whose cultural background is Vietnamese living in Boston. You can read more about Maddy’s time with FoodFaith in part 1 and part 2 of her cultural series. Here’s what she says of this dish…
‘Turkey chao is actually my favourite part of Thanksgiving. My mom usually makes it after Thanksgiving day, with all the leftover turkey we have left. It’s extremely comforting, and my favourite thing to eat on a cold November day!’