Thanks to Bake Bar Organic Artisan Baker
A favourite treat for the Jewish festival of Purim.The director and head baker of Bake Bar, Gili Gold, uses an old family recipe, incorporating the highest quality ingredients into lovingly hand-made Hamantashen pastries. Gili has fond memories making these delicious pastries with her grandmother.
(Recipe makes 40)
Ingredients – short crust pastry
Organic White Flour 420g
Unsalted Butter (room temp) 200g
Icing sugar 120g
Egg 1 large
Egg yolk 1
Baking powder 1 tsp
Lemon zest 1 tsp
Ingredients - poppy seed filling
Full cream milk 120g
Unsalted butter 25 g
Honey 1 tsp
Organic raw sugar 150g
Almond meal 1/2 cup
Ground poppy seed 130g
Poppy Seed Filling
1. Add the milk, butter, honey and sugar in a saucepan and warm on low heat until the sugar is melted. Then bring to the boil and reduce heat.
2. Add the poppy seed and continue warming for another 5 to 7 minutes until the milk has evaporated a little. Remove saucepan from the heat.
3. Add the almond meal and mix.
4. Cover the saucepan with glad wrap, allow to cool and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
1. Using an electric mixing with the paddle attached, add all the ingredients in to the mixer bowl and mix for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium speed until all the ingredients are combined and a smooth dough is formed.
2. Cover pastry with glad wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Roll out dough on a very lightly floured surface to about ½ cm thick, dust with flour as needed.
2. Cut out 40 rounds that are 8cm in diameter.
3. Add a teaspoon of the poppy seed filling in the middle of each round.
4. Close rounds to a triangle shape by folding over the corners and pinching the edges. Keep a circle in the middle so that you can see the filling.
5. Prepare 2 baking trays with baking paper.
6. Add the Hamantashen on each tray with a space of 2 cm.
7. Freeze for at least ½ hour.
8. Pre-heat oven 180 0C
9. Remove Hamantashen from the freezer, brush with egg wash and bake for 15 minutes until golden in colour.
10. Cool and dust with icing sugar.
Hamantashen will keep for up to 1 week in an air tight container stored at room temperature