2 large eggplants
4 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large white onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch knob ginger, minced
1-2 Serrano pepper, minced (adjust according to preference)
2 teaspoons coriander powder
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Make four slits in each eggplant and then apply 1 tablespoon of oil over each eggplant. Place them on baking sheet and then roast in the oven for 40 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Turn the heat up to a broil for 5 minutes, then remove the eggplants from the oven.
- Allow the eggplant to cool, then remove the skin and chop the flesh. Set aside for now.
- While the eggplant is baking, add 2 tablespoons of oil in a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Then add cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds begin to splutter, add onions and saute for 10 minutes or until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, Serrano pepper and spices. Stir-fry for a minute, add tomatoes and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir-fry for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked eggplant and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.